Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Bmw 640d m sport, car was smoking bad burning lots of oil,

Bmw 640d m sport, car was smoking bad burning lots of oil, low rpm turbo wasn't working but high rpm was, got the turbo reconditioned and re installed actuator was set also, still same problem, low rpm turbo still not working and throwing out whitish smoke with oil out of exhaust, burning lots of oil, only diagnostic coming up is low exhaust pressure and boost pressure
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you