Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

There, my 645i went into my local BMW service. Apparently

Hi there, my 645i went into my local BMW for a service. Apparently the o/s headlight loom wires need replacing connecting the dashboard to the socket. According to BMW this is £6,500!!! They can forget that. My question is, is there any way an expert mechanic can rewire this using a second hand unit or some other alternative?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Yes, this can be done by any mechanic that is familiar with this vehicle or a competent auto electrician
A used wiring loom is difficult to source but running repair wiring is a good option
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Steve - much appreciated. So presumably, although not a simple job, I should not need to spend anything like £6000 on this and in fact a competent mechanic could use alternative wires to replicate the loom?Best regards,
Ben
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
No it should not cost anything near that amount.
Yes alternative wires could be used depending on the exact nature of the issue
Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant, thank you so much! Ben