Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My bmw 420 has adaptive suspension. The front suspension was

Customer Question

My bmw 420 has adaptive suspension. The front suspension was repaired due to a collision with curbstone. When driving at moderate speed 50 mph ish the car is not absorbing the bumps very well. It feels as if the back suspension is either too stiff or the dampers are not damping well. This is in comfort mode.
Is there a way to test whether adaptive suspension is working properly. And do these systems need recalibrating if suspension parts are replaced?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
only a BMW main dealer is equipped to test this system
yes calibration is needed after parts replacement
it probably wont do much good to go back to the shop that did the repair, you should use a bmw main dealer if you would like a proper repair
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve, thanks. This was a BMW main dealer. I think that they replaced the damaged parts, checked wheel alignment and took the car for a test drive around the city streets. If dealers normally have test rigs that can test adaptive suspension with different (simulated drive conditions) it would be good to know.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
no they do not have test rigs specifically for adaptive suspension - that would cost a fortune, but they can interrogate the system with their computer equipment and preform the calibrations, etc.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks. I will ask them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I would also get a problem if one of the sensors or actuators in the dampers was faulty.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
yes, you would.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the control check fault reporting system spot this and report it on the dashboard?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if the issue was bad enough you would get an error, yes. if a sensor reading was just slightly off but still reporting a plausible reading, then no