Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW X5 E53, That is suffering from black smoke

Hi I have a BMW X5 E53, That is suffering from black smoke from the exhaust and a lose of power. This happens if i travel for about 10 -15 mins or so. when following traffic at 40 mph it finds it very hard to accelerate when the road clears and produces a large amount of smoke. I also have air coming through the fans on acceleration (unsure if this is linked??)
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what year and variant is the x5?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 and its an e53 3.0d
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and has just supposedly been serviced
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
black smoke means too much fuel relative to air.
the likely causes are an injector issue, fuel pump issue, bad airflow sensor, turbo issue or clogged air filter
the most common on this model would be the turbo or injectors as the cause.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.