Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2.5pi convertable 1985 petrol. Original mileage 70,000

I have a 2.5pi convertable 1985 petrol. Original mileage 70,000 .auto.
When car is cold goes easily into gear. When the car is hot it is hard to get into gear?
Car is only used occasionally maybe 30 miles a year! like abrand new car.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
this is an automatic transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I asked a question last week but have been unable to get on line till tonight and the question has been closed. I can now see that you asked if it was an automatic and the answer is yes can you send me the answer now?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
do you mean it is physically hard to move the shifter, or that it takes time or you have to gas it a bit before it goes into gear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is physically hard to get in gear
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
I would suspect simple hanging/binding of the shift linkage in that case.
it is possible that this could be happening inside of the transmission but I would start by inspecting the exterior linkages
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for that will try what you suggest
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome please do not forget to click on a positive rating