Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I own a 2011 320d m sport sports plus and this morning for

Customer Question

I own a 2011 320d m sport sports plus and this morning for no reason I can no longer use reverse but all other gears work fine took it to a garage he put the car in the air looked for two mins with a light and said I'd probably need a new box I've just two mins ago pushed the reverse gear hard in keeping pressure and I managed to move I really don't want to replace full box any thoughts would be great thank you
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
hello,
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
typically when you lose reverse it requires a complete overhaul of the gearbox or replacement
a best case scenario might be a small internal fix, but this would still be very expensive and you would likely want to opt for a full overhaul anyways
the only other possibility might be an issues with the shift linkage but since it has already been put on a lift and inspected this is very unlikely as it would have been noticed.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle