Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

BMW 318 coupe 2001 model. Battery seems not to be charging

Customer Question

BMW 318 coupe 2001 model. Battery seems not to be charging and after 20 minutes driving warning lights come on and car cuts out. Had alternator off and refitted with a new regulator. Still problem exists. Been advised to buy a new alternator unit and fit.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the battery connections /contacts are clean and bright. if this is OK and check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. if its not then check the condition of the small wire that runs back from the alternator into the engine loom as its this that turns on the alternator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks so much for your help.I will try these asap.Dave
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
no problem
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you