Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I live in Spain, have a BMW 525 TDI (2001) high mileage

I live in Spain, have a BMW 525 TDI (2001) high mileage (365000 Km), in the past 6 months engine has shut down several times while driving on free-way.
Car has been to garage each time this has happened, Electric fuel pump changed(Original BMW part installed)
fuel filter replaced, all injectors checked, two replaced.
Whenever this had happened there is no rise in temp, all indications are always normal, no warning lights, come on, just sudden shut down.
Have to wait at least 45 mins before it restarts.
Car drives normal, starts Ok, but shuts down unexpectedly.
I suspect fuel feed problem, any help or advice welcome.
any advice welcome,
Theo
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Airflow meterCrank position sensorCam position sensorO2 sensorThrottle pedal position sensor unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40 and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins. - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp