Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have had a 2009 3 series BMW - petrol engine from new

Customer Question

Hi I have had a 2009 3 series BMW - petrol engine from new - always serviced at the dealers and runs like a dream, has low mileage - 67k so, looked after.
Within the last three weeks suffered a brake failure due to servos not kicking in and had the vac pump and oil valve fixed at great expense, so happy all was sorted. Literally a month has passed and the 'low oil pressure' light has appeared on the dash, directing me to stop/slowly take the car to the dealers. This I have done only to find that a Cam reference fault that was stored in the system has shown up on the diagnostics ; not mentioned before ; car has been checked and dealer is suggesting removing & reinstalling the sump to check the bearings and refitting ; if bearings damaged will require more work and possible timing chain guides & gasket replacement ; although this is an unknown - all very, very expensive at the moment. Are there any other suggestions as to what could be wrong - I suggested it could be a sensor but, no comment made ? Is it worth a 2nd opinion or, forking out a fortune for a car I am planning to sell this month anyway ? Can anyone give me some advice ? Regards, Rens
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
a low oil pressure warning can definitely be caused by a failing sensor but this can be easily verified by manually testing the fuel pressure - I would assume this has been done but if not then you will definitely want to get a second opinion at another BMW specialist.
even if the work needs to be done, if you are able to find a local BMW specialist you will save significantly over main dealer rates. Unfortunately I am not able to make local recommendations but typically such garages can be easily found via online search.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating