Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 55 plate bmw key fob has stopped working , looks like

Customer Question

hi my 55 plate bmw key fob has stopped working , looks like its a disposable unit can unlock with the attached key but nothing else please help , thankyou
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I get it started please
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what exactly is the issue you are having? your key will not start your car? how do you know the key is what is preventing start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no key for the ignition only an entry key that's part of the fob which slots into the dash board to start engine , firstly when we came to open/unlock the car it wouldn't work , then after getting the key out of the fob , we found that the fob wouldn't liven up the ignition either , also there is not a replaceable battery in the fob its a sealed unit, so back to the original question that I have asked, given the further information that u have asked for , ! how do I get the car started to enable me to get it to a BMW dealership to get it sorted, thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
have you tried your second key? the fob that you refer to is the key, it is an electronic key. the blade key is for opening the door or boot when there is a power failure. the key is the fob.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
when you insert the fob into the slot in the dash, do the interior lights and charms, etc come on?