Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2015 BMW 216d active tourer exclusive which I have

I have a 2015 BMW 216d active tourer exclusive which I have had for 7 months.
Last night I went to the theatre parked in the car park switched everything off locked the car and went to the show. When I got back the engine was running and the lights were on. I had been gone nearly 4 hours. I was with a friend and we are both certain the ignition, lights etc were all off when we left the car. Can you explain?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if this in fact happened then it would have to be a fault with the car access system which monitors access to the car and enables starting.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
this would be a very rare failure pattern for this system. I would suggest you monitor to see if it happens again. If it does, you should leave the vehicle with your local main dealer to be monitored for the issue, at which point they will be able to diagnose it or involve BMW engineering to help resolve it.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you aware of this happening in the past?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to anybody else?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
no - to my comment as to how rare of a failure pattern this is, I have not heard of it happening before. I have definitely heard of windows/sunroof opening on their own which can be a fault with the same system, but I have not heard of the car starting on its own, nor have any other experts on this site.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.