Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I keep getting "drive train malfunction" warning. 1st

I keep getting "drive train malfunction" warning. 1st Occasion Aug-15 took it to BMW they checked and didn't find find any error messages. again started getting the message in Dec-15 BMW looked at it and replaced sensor. I 've started getting the message once again. It only lasts about less than 2 min so and disappears. Also the fuel performance no where near the 56mpg claimed but I am not expecting this as i drive short distance in stop start traffic but would still expect 35mpg + but I am only seeing 26mpg could this be connected to the drive train problem?Also got a cruise control failure which again has been fixed by BMW. This is brand new car i ordered and have used for about 16 months and the current mileage is under 13k. new 2015 modelI have written to customer service of my disappointment still await answer.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Can you please clarify what your question is? If the mileage could be related to the warning or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whats causing the drive train malfunction so often and is this impacting the milegae
thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.even if you are on a subscription plan you must still select a positive rating to credit your expert although you will not be charged anything additional beyond your subscription rate.thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.this warning is not specific to any one thing - it is simply meant to inform the driver that a fault is present. the only way to verify the underlying trigger of the warning is to have the fault logs read from the car. if no fault is being set, then it could be an issue with the engine control computer.as for the fuel enconomy, yes, it is very likely related to the engine fault. there are many sensors that the engine uses to inform fuel mixture and when one fails it will cause a warning.Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.