Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW X3 F25 (June 2012 onwards) and the folding mirror,

I have a BMW X3 F25 (June 2012 onwards) and the folding mirror, passenger side, does not always fold. I have tried to get the mirror glass out to check the wiring but can't see how to get it out. Any ideas please?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked..this is very unlikely to be wiring, it is most likely a simple failure of the drive unit in the mirror, which would require it be replaced. if you wish to check wiring I would check that which runs from the car body into the car door..Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem only seems to happen in wet weather - which is why I thought that it might be a corroded connection. Also, there are no unusual noises from the drive unit. It either works or does not work - as though a relay or connection is failing. After a damp night it did not work and was stuck folded. I left the car, mirror side, in the sun for the morning and it worked afterwards!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a simple way to remove the mirror glass so that I can quickly check the wiring?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
L696621
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
it should just pry out if you lever it from the edge.
please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. I have now dismantled the mirror - as far as I was prepared to go. I lubricated the pivot points and cleaned and sprayed the connections with High Performance WD40. It now works at the same speed as the other mirror (it was slightly slower). I will now see what happens when it is out in the rain. If it fails again it will have to go in for a new motor - although I suspect my local BMW garage would simply fit a new mirror at some eye watering price!