Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Rattle coming off engine area on 2011 bmw x5 3.0 diesel, sounds

Customer Question

rattle coming off engine area on 2011 bmw x5 3.0 diesel, sounds like an idler, does not interfere with running, sounds like an idler, but removed alt. belt and still the same
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for a professional response, soon as possible please
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move. Another possibility is the variable valve timing system as this does rely on oil pressure to correctly synchronise your vvti pulley on the end of the camshaft. If the valve has become blocked up then its possible the pulley is rattling about and producing the noise. If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other end of the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces. If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.