Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I'm thinking of buying a BMW 325i convertible, plate 57,

I'm thinking of buying a BMW 325i convertible, plate 57, engine apparently N53. Read lots about issues with coil packs, injectors, high pressure fuel pump. Car has 48K miles on clock with full BMW service history with recent service and mot with no advisories.
Took car out on a test drive. It has a slight lull when changing up through the gears around gear 3 or 4. Engine sounds very quiet and smooth.
Dealer thinks BMW may still fix the car if it fails for these well known issues. Is this correct?
Should I worry, avoid car like the plague or see if I can get some type of warranty.
Is there a better engine I should go for. Car will be well used to start with but will then move to the Harris/outer hebrides in coastal location and will be used for shorter runs so diesel probably not ideal.
Want a hard top convertible as it rains a lot in Harris so soft top not ideal.
If you can let me know what to look out for it would be appreciated.
Carol
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
No, BMW will not fix any of these issues outside of warranty unless there has been an explicit extension to the warranty. They might, sure, but for the dealer to tell you this is irresponsible
The engines with the big problems are n54 and n55. The n52 is the better engine variant in these models.
In terms of things to look for he best thing you can do to protect yourself is to invest in a third party inspection prior to purchase as a customer can't make the checks needed to know if anything has been neglected or if any failure is imminent
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Steve,Thanks for your response but it doesn't really answer if there are any issues to look out for with this model.Can you let me know what to look out for. Happy to get AA/RSAC inspection but would like to tell them what to look out for. Are injectors, coil packs, high pressure fuel pumps an issue. How often should you expect to change as I have been reading that the carts develop issues after 50-60K miles.ThanksCarol
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Please do not forget to click on a positive rating
The biggest watch out on he n54 and n55 cars are turbos injectors and high pressure pumps and carbon build up
On the n52 cars it is the water pump, starter and valve cover gasket leaks
The issues start to develop at 80k. Parts will need to be replaced at this interval. If parts haven't been changed you will be on the hook for the costs.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Steve,Many thanks for there general guidance on other engines but what can I tell AA/RAC to look out for on N53 engine i.e. does it have issues between 50-60K miles as I have read. Need to know what could go wrong so I can factor the price in. I keep reading injectors, coil pack and fuel pump for N53.I'll click the rate next time.ThanksCarol
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive ratingthe n53 has the same issues as the n52 cars - water pump, starter, valve cover gasket. Coils are problematic at high mileage on most cars so this isn't anything special to this car/engine. Fuel pump and injectors also not that problematic, these are issues on n54/n55 mainly.These issues mostly start to appear around 80k, not 50-60.Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. Called the BMW garage that did 5 out of 6 of the services. They couldn't tell me about work the car had done privately owing to data protection. I asked about recalls etc. They confirmed no outstanding on the vehicle and that the enhancements on the car were as follows:
- replace ignition coil
- replace air cleaner intake house
- changing pin assignments connector air bag module
- checked injectorsSo sounds like some of the work has already been done which is encouraging.ThanksCarol