Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Why is my arm rest (centar console) is getting hot?

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Is it by where your leg rests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can cool it down if I play with AC bit it is always warm.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
it is hot even if you are blowing AC rather than heat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is always warm or hot
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what is the rear seat temp dial set to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check tomorrow, I did not know this can be set up
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

there is a known design issue that causes this when the rear seat heat is on and set to full hot, so most likely this is normal

.

it is not really a defect, it is just when you have the rear seat air heater on and the temp wheel set to full red, it causes this hot console symptom as hot air flows to the back

.

if you were to complain about this to your dealer service department, a dealer tech will remove some trim on the center console and make sure that all heat shielding and duct work is properly in place. if it is, the resolution is to turn the temp wheel in the rear seats to blue instead of red and show the customer that this is what needs to be done to reduce the hot console.

.

so, what I have described is the common issue, and this is what BMW has a bulletin out on (a bulletin is when they send out specific documentation for a common or recurrent issue to all dealers).

.

if you turn the temp wheel in the back to blue, and the problem goes away, this is likely what you are experiencing. it might still be a good idea to have the trim removed and insulation / ductwork checked as a precaution.

.

now, it is also possible that you have a different issue, with an electronic component or wiring heating up, or the transmission heating up, broken heat shield under the car, etc, but this is much less likely. in this case, this could be traced by unhooking componets one by one to see when the heat stops, or by removing interior trim or undercar trim to trace the source.

.

.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.