Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Got abmw 318cise,had radio on and battery went dead,engine

hi steve,got abmw 318cise,had radio on and battery went dead,engine ent light came on later loss of power and slight shuddering,been told engine has went into idle mode,and has to code wise diagnosticly reset,wats your thoughts
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm sorry can you please clarify your question? I'm not sure. What you would like to know ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi steve,battery went dead,i charged it,a few hours later the engine management light came on and lost power in the engine and there was a slight shudder,just wondered if it was bcos the battery went dead and the computer went into limp mode or could it b coils,thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

It is probably because the battery went dead and there there is a throttle or ignition fault. I would try unhooking the battery for an hour then see if the issue changes

You can then try this process:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 20 minutes.

2. Reconnect the battery

3. Turn the ignition to the second position for 30 seconds (turn key all the way without actually starting car)

4. Turn the ignition off for 30 seconds

5. Turn the ignition back to the second position for another 30 seconds

6. Start the car

If the issue STILL remains then the the faults will need to be read from the car using a BMW scan tool as a next step, and likely the system will need to be reset

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks steve ile give that a go,appreciate that