Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Just purchased X5 4.4 spot (10300 miles) every now and then

Hi. just purchased X5 4.4 spot (10300 miles) every now and then the "DSC inactive"
warning light comes on. It seems to be when accelerating hard. When ignition is first
switched on there are no warning signs. can you offer any help
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what kind of help are you seeking? did you want to know possible causes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

does the light turn back off after you've stopped accelerating? or does it then stay on until you restart the vehicle? does power cut off as you try to accelerate and the light comes on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I wasn't too clear, the warning light does not come on at all, its just a message shown briefly on the instrument cluster,
also pushing the DSC button does not turn warning light on ( or off !! )
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

so it shows up while accelerating, but goes away?

does power get cut or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's correct, but only under hard acceleration, and the power does not get cut
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

.

thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

that means that a fault is being sensed by the dsc system. the common causes are a bad steering angle sensor, wheel speed sensor or the control module for the system. It is also possible it could be a loose connection somewhere, but that is hard to speculate on.

.

as a next step, the computer fault logs will need to be scanned from the vehicle to see what fault is being sensed, thus pointing to the issue

.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.