Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW Z3 2.8 which is my second car and source of

I have a BMW Z3 2.8 which is my second car and source of enjoyment. It has only done 53K miles runs and drives well. The problem I have is that when driving the temperature stays on the centre of the temperature gauge but when I have driven for say an hour and am in traffic or stop at lights after a couple of minutes the temperature starts to climb. I can get the temperature back down by turning up the heating and fan. When I set off again the temperature goes back to normal.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

this would most commonly be caused by a failed fan clutch.

.

other possibilities are a failed aux/pusher fan, low coolant level, coolant restriction or failing water pump. As I said the fan clutch is most likely, though.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve
That confirms my suspicions, who would be the best people to go to to get the problem fixed.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the best would be a bmw main dealer, followed by a BMW specialist, followed by a German import specialist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve
I went to a BMW Main Dealer and they have a service to do the diagnostics and depending what they find, I can go from there.
Alan