Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I basically put too much engine oil and when i was driving

Customer Question

hi there, i basically put too much engine oil and when i was driving my car too much white smoke came out from my exaust and after that my car wont start, can you tell me what s happening with my car
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there was too much smoke coming out and at that time engine wont stop after taking the keys out and when the engine stops and from that time the engine wont starts and when opeaning the bonnet i can see that there is a leak of oil and the burned oil was coming out from the exaust pipe
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi..there..

What engine does it have?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2 liter diesel
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Ok... Because you overfilled the engine with oil..the engine has likely started to consume its own oil hence the smoke out the exhaust pipe..and the reason why it continued to run even though you switched the ignition off..so in effect you had a run away engine situation...and this could be the end of that engine im afraid, so you may end up having to get that engine replaced..if to see if it still runs or not..what would need to happen now to see if the engine would start is to get the engine oil drained..the entire intake system and intercooler system cleaned out..aswell as the exhaust system cleared out..a dpf/cat fitted it may need replaced too.but to test the engine to see if it starts they could just disconnect it from the manifold in the mean time..and compression test done on all cylinders..and then refill with new oil and see if it starts..but like stated the damage could already be done.bearing in mind though there is possibility it may have blown oil seals either internally or on the turbo...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it looks like a big problem from a small mistake and waht do you thing the cost gonna be
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what do you thing is good, to get a new engine or do those cleaning and changind parts
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Obviously you would need to gather quotes locally .but could be looking at least £2000* with time swapping added as "an approx" depending where you source a good engine from.your garage thats doing the work would need to source that and ensure its in fully working order and under somesort of warranty froma reputable engine rebuilder or used engine supplier..its difficult to guage a price on that.. but the time to remove old one and refit,,swap parts over etc..is the bulk of the work..rebuilding would cost more so isnt really viable...Id say at least see if the engine in the car will still run or not..by doing as suggested above by cleaning up everything as stated..and if it runs ok and doesnt appear to show any signs of damage then you may have got away with it..so you maybe looking at rough costing of around £300-£400 for the time to do that..but again depends on the garages rates per hour.....