Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a warning light at start-up on my 735li saying

Customer Question

i have a warning light at start-up on my 735li saying dynamic drive inactive, is this just likely to be a case of topping up some fluid or worse?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

its worth checking the car fluid levels, oil, coolant, brake fluid and power steering

but this can also be faulty steering angle sensor, and an alternator failing which causes overvoltage in the system. The ARS (dynamic drive) module always stores an overvoltage fault if this is the case.

The only accurate way to diagnose is with a bmw specific scan tool, this will be needed to read the fault codes, from there the faulty component can be determined and replaced.

and if you've fitted different sized wheels and / or tyres then this too can create this fault

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you