Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Can a 5 series auto gearbox be fitted into an 2003 bmw x5

Can a 5 series auto gearbox be fitted into an 2003 bmw x5 auto
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
What year of x5 and engine variant is the transmission coming out of? What engine variant is it going into?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The x5 is a 3L diesel.It has a gm box in it. i was wondering is it possible a auto gear box from 5 series could be fitted.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry the x5 is 2003
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

what is the last 7 digits of the vin of the X5 and what model/engine/year is the 5 series?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The last 7 numbers on the x5 are LN40494. We have not got the 5 series gearbox as i am trying to find out if one can be adapted to work in the x5 before i purchase one. Thank you for helping with this
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.
the transmission that is used in your vehicle (verified by vin) is the A5S390R - 4-wheel unit.

.

this transmission is not used in any other bmw other than an X5 and there is no way to adapt other transmissions to work because the electronics, physical aspects of the transmission and its integration with the engine and abs systems are very specific. Not even a transmission from a*****diesel 5 series can be made to work, I'm afraid.

.

thus, to reiterate, no 5 series transmission can be made to function in your vehicle. I am sorry if this is not the answer that you were hoping for but I trust that my honest answer is appreciated. thank you for your attention to the positive rating requirement
.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.