Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW 120d, 2008 coupe, which has now covered 73k. I

hi I have a BMW 120d, 2008 coupe, which has now covered 73k. I took the car to my local BMW specialist for service work, they reported that the timing chain was noisy. That was a year ago, I recently took my car back to the same garage for more service work when they reminded me that the timing chain was noisy. I could not hear anything, but I'm not an expert! They quoted £1800 to replace the 3 chains, It has left me really unsure what to do, leave it and hope for the best, ***** ***** chains replaced or change the car? Any thoughts?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
If you keep driving and the chain breaks, you will ruin the engine. At the same time, having not listened to or inspected the car on my own I cannot say if the chains are in fact noisy or not.
I would suggest you get a second opinion from another BMW specialist to confirm the diagnosis. If the concern is verified then trading the car would be an option vs doing the expensive repairs but this is more of your decision based on finances, etc. I will add that if you spend all of this money now to fix the chains this doesn't preclude other issues from coming up in the future leading to additional costs
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.