Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My son in law has just inherited an E60 545i from his late

My son in law has just inherited an E60 545i from his late Father, it is a great car but the active suspension light comes on intermittently. We are concerned this could be costly to rectify, can you give us any idea of likely causes please? Thanks Dave.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
What diagnostics have been carried out this far? Any?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
None, we have no access to diagnostic equipment, just looking for an experienced view of likely problems and costs to rectify. Car has only done 60k miles. Thanks.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

This warning message is not specific to any one thing, it simply indicates a failure somewhere within the system. It is only intended to inform the driver there is a problem, not to facilitate trouble shooting. This is a very complex system with a number of components that are prone to failure.

There are many things that can cause this error. A failing alternator, a failure of the control module, a bad steering angle sensor, a low fluid level in the system or some other sway bar or sensor issue.

When this warning comes on, the car’s computer logs a record of the fault which has triggered it. So, the only way to determine what has failed is to have the fault memory read from the vehicle using a proper BMW scan tool. Once the faults are read, they will point you to the failure which can be rectified, and proper functionality restored (and the warning turned off).

Given the range of possible causes, there is a range of possible costs. It could run anywhere form £300 to £3000 or more depending on what exactly has failed.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.