Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I've got 2012 3 series 320i with n20b20 engine. I have

I've got 2012 3 series 320i with n20b20 engine. I have noticed recently some whine noise coming from the engine when accelerating. I have done some research and it appears to be a problem with timing chain. I've taken my car to mechanic but it looks like that job require some special tools. I've seen timing locking kits in some Internet shops and eBay. Is that kind of kit enough or there is something more, some other tools I need. And the procedure of seting up vanos afterwards, is it very hard? I it complicated? And is there a way to get somewhere instruction how to do it?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
what kind of mechanical training and experience do you have?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was fixing my cars for last few years but never done such a big job. I now how to change timing belt on simple engine.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

this is a pretty massive job, I would say out of the range of the skill of most do it yourselfers.

.

the tool kit would be all that you need. instructions are copyrighted so you would need to have a BMW dealer print them out for your or otherwise purchase them from https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.