Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Can I drive my bmw 1 series 118i Se with a worn valtronic

can I drive my bmw 1 series 118i Se with a worn valtronic assembly and worn hydraulic lifters and if so for how long. other issues i have been advised about are various oil leaks and slight noise from the timing chain.
the garage have already replaced a hydraulic lifter and vanos bolt. they said that the valtronic unit needed to be replaced because of wear and tear and that I could not drive it without doing this, but now say that it can be driven like that OK without replacement.
the car is old 2005 but low mileage 67,000. i bought it in March this year.
Andrea
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Does the car have any warning lights on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine block warning light and the oil pressure warning light.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

you should definitely NOT drive the car if the oil pressure warning light is on, you could destroy the engine if oil pressure is low.

Driving for a few weeks with worn valvetronic assembly and lifters would be okay, but still not a great idea to try to go too long without addressing the issues.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.