Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 528 series, 320k mls. The viscous fan will not

I have a 528 series, 320k mls.
The viscous fan will not switch off. On garage recommendation to fix the problem (two different garages) it has been replaced twice in eighteen months, what is the answer please.
When should the shocks be changed, they have the originals at present.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
What year is the car?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
S reg 1998
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

when you say the fan will not shut off, can you please elaborate? what exactly does it do?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When the latest new fan was fitted three weeks ago the fan did not run when the engine was started, however the mechanic called me to say said it came on after 5 mins and just keeps running with the engine on, he phoned a colleague for help/ideas but to no avail saying he could only think this is caused by the hot weather. The fan stays on in the winter.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

the fan is mechanical and only engages once a certain temperature is reached. If you are not using genuine BMW OEM parts then I would suggest you try an OEM BMW unit. If the problem persists then it can only be that the car is running at a temperature that the fan is intended to engage at.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not believe you have replied to my last question which was a response to yours asking me for more detail.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

what question was that? this is what was posted: "When the latest new fan was fitted three weeks ago the fan did not run when the engine was started, however the mechanic called me to say said it came on after 5 mins and just keeps running with the engine on, he phoned a colleague for help/ideas but to no avail saying he could only think this is caused by the hot weather. The fan stays on in the winter. " - I am not sure what the question is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, Think I found your answer.You say insure a genuine BMW part is fitted, is that correct ?
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating. yes. if it is, then it is working properly in response to temperature. if it is not, get a proper BMW part installed. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating