Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2016 m4 competition pack. Can you put it in gear

I have a 2016 m4 competition pack.
Can you put it in gear and drive with the drivers door open?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am not sure what you are asking? Does something bizarre happen when you try to do this on your model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in my car parked up in neutral and just wanted to turn my car off, I had my right leg out of the drivers door which was open , i pressed the off button several times but my car was still running so I moved the gear stick side to side and tried again but still wouldn't shut the engine down , I pushed the button a few more times the suddenly the car accelerates forward hitting my nephew with the door and trapping my right leg . The car accelerated towards someone's house and I quickly pulled on the handbrake which was already on,! And the car hit a wooden fence. Witnesses said the rear wheels where still trying to spin even though n
By now I had put my foot on the brake pedal.I thought bmw had a safety feature so you can't drive with the drivers door open?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

there is no feature that prevents you from driving with the door open, I do it all the time on new BMWs as it makes it easier to park against curbs without scuffing wheels.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you 100% sure because, after this crazy incident I ask all my friends who have or had bmws
Or have now ( x5m,320i, 135m, e92 dct etc) to try and put in D gear with the drivers door open and to press the accelerator pedal , they all say the car won't move, some say their car locks the wheels , goes back to N or just goes back to P.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the uk so I don't need to open my door to park close to the kerb as we drive on the left hand side of the road and the car is right hand drive. I was just wondering if my safety feature had failed badly!my car is under investigation by bmw uk.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I am 100% positive that you can put a BMW from park to drive/reverse or from neutral to drive/reverse with the door open. On a left hand drive car it is the same in the US, you dont need to open the door to parallel park on the road, but you do in a parking lot when parking at the end of a row. The safety feature is allowing you to put the car in drive and drive off if a mugger opens the door, not preventing you from driving with the door open. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which models have you been able to drive of with door open? My wife has a 320i auto and we have tried to replicate the scenario I had in my m4 and the 320 has a warning on the dash then returns to N. My car is still at bmw undergoing further investigation . I have only had my m4 for 5weeks so haven't tested this safety feature.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I just walked out and did this on a 2016 X5 to triple check for you. It went easily into drive or reverse with the door wide open. I have done it on 5 and 3 series recently of the top of my head. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow , this is so confusing .These tests were all done without seat belts on by the way. Sounds like it must only be on certain models of bmw automatic gearboxes then.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I have never had a problem putting a car in gear with the door open. I am sure BMW UK will get to the bottom of the issue if there indeed is one. As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating to complete the question and to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer. thank you and good luck with your car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok cheers thanks