Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Is it an engineering impossibility to bespoke a towbar

Is it an engineering impossibility to bespoke a towbar solution for a 2012 640d coupe, and one where the visible component is relatively easily removed ?
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
BMW seem to think this magnificent car can't tow. It's a pity, because then I wouldn't need to keep an audi, just for the occasional use of large bootspace. Various bespoke sites list models they can do towbars for, but I've not found one which does a towbar for a 2012 640d. Does this mean some vital anchor point was not incorporated in the 640d design, or is it that the market is so tiny that no-one has bothered, in which case, where might I go to find someone who was bothered?
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
It is not an engineering impossibility but it will be cost phrohibitive to have one fabricated.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Prohibitive? How much by your guess? Would it be possible to be removable? Do you reckon it would require a cut in the bumper?
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Several grand. To make it removable maybe more. It could likely be rigged up without a bumper cut but it isn't going to be worth it, believe me. The bumper would have to come off, then measurements, then design, fabrication, test fitting, etc. normally these costs are spread over thousands of units, you would have to pay them all. Please do not forget to click on a positive rating.