Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a bmw e46 325 and ive got traction control light and

Customer Question

hello I have a bmw e46 325 and ive got traction control light and yellow handbrake light on
I'm pulling this fault code out of it
5e1a can dme/dde signal error
can you please tell me what this is or where to start to rectify it
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
What is the last 7 of the vin?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll have to get back to you on monday when I have the car and paperwork in front of me is that ok thank you
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

sure

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chassis number is
Wbabn3205ojw43749
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

this code on your model essentially means that the ABS/DSC module is not able to properly interpret the signal that it is receiving from the engine control computer (DME). Unfortunately this single code is not definitive as to the underlying cause, so proper test plans with a factory BMW diagnostic computer will need to be carried out. Possibly causes would be a hardware fault in the DME, a hardware fault in the ABS/DSC module, or possibly a wiring connection issue, or some other sort of communication interference on the communication network. I would suspect most likely the issue is the ABS/DSC module itself.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** also make it harder to start as it turns over a lot longer when the lights are on???
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

a faulty ABS/DSC unit would be uncommon to make the car harder to start but a DME issue could. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating