Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a bmw 1 series 118i convertible, only had the car

Customer Question

hi I have a bmw 1 series 118i convertible, only had the car 3months with 51 000 on clock there was slite rattling in the engine been told its the retaining bolt snapped garage recons I need a complete engine is this true or can the bolt be replaced
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
what testing has been carried out to condemn the engine?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the mechanic stripped the engine and found that the retaining bolt had snapped, his know saying that this bolt because its bent cannot be drilled out and replaced. the only way I can get the car back on road is to replace the whole engine for the cost off £5,822.64
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

another expert here

can you post up an picture of the broken bolt using the paperclip icon? as I very much doubt you have to replace the entire engine

most of the time a bolt can be extracted, even if you have to weld something onto it