Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2009 116i 60k relatively trouble free but brake problem

2009 116i 60k relatively trouble free but brake problem earlier this year fixed with new vacuum pump. More recently, engine management light indicated nitrogen oxide sensor fault. Sensor replaced (£600) but light still on. Further diagnosis led to timing chain being replaced (£1900) but light still on. ECU replaced ( no charge) again light still on. Finally instrument cluster replaced (no charge) and problem fixed.
Is this simply an unfortunate sequence of problems or could the nitrogen oxide sensor and timing chain faults have been misinterpreted due to the faulty instrument cluster?
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The £600 has already been paid but the £1900 has not yet been paid. Would I be justified in challenging this charge?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
what diagnosis was done to point to the chain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Debris from the chain housing was found at the bottom of the sump, which bmw said could have been caused by topping up with incorrect oil.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

if debris from the chain was found, then the answer is no, it is not possible for this to have been misinterpreted due to a cluster issue. You would not be justified is challenging the charge of replacing the chain.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.