Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My wife's 116i done 55k 4 years old is showing 'Drive Train

My wife's 116i done 55k 4 years old is showing 'Drive Train error' - safe to continue but get checked soon - what does it mean and should she worry?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
What is the last 7 of the vin of the car?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
E687668
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

thank you

.

this warning simply means that a fault of some kind has been sensed by the vehicle's computer. This warning is not specific and is not intended to aid in trouble shooting, only too inform the driver a fault is present. In order to verify the underlying fault that is triggering the warning, you will need to have the computer scanned with a BMW scan tool to read out the fault codes from the computer. Yes you should worry as this indicates a fault is present. The most common cause on your model is a fuel pump or injector issue but the faults need to be read to verify.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Steve, I got that far myself.
Except for the most common faults on my model are fuel pump and
injector issues!
Are these DRIVE TRAIN related issues? they don't sound like they are?
If so we could keep driving until the fuel pump fails or the injectors (there are 4 after all) make the engine run badly, without having to fork out now.
DRIVE TRAIN problems is obviously difficult for you to define but sounds drastic, like somethings loose.
The answer is get plugged in to a BMW diagnostic but that maybe costs at a BMW main dealer?
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

the engine is part of the drive train - the fuel pump and injectors are part of the engine and thus part of the drive train as well. if you continue to drive with this warning, yes it could begin to run poorly. It is strongly advised to have this rectified immediately - nothing good will come of delaying, that is for certain. A drive train malfunction is not something loose, it is simply an indication that an engine fault has been sensed.

driver warnings are unfortunately not specific and require a scan to verify the underlying cause, typically at cost to the owner - this is part of the cost of ownership as the cars are only designed for this type of diagnosis.

As the question has been answered please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK Steve good logic
I must go to a main dealer today