Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

M235i auto. Increasing whine/whistle noise from standing

M235i auto. Increasing whine/whistle noise from standing start or speeding up in slow traffic. Disappears when up to 10/15 mph. Seems to be gearbox noise rather than engine. Similar noise in manual mode and pretty lump change from 1st to 2nd.
Is this a problem which will get worse.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

the answer to your question is yes, this will likely worsen over time.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for the clear reply - I should have asked a more precise question. I hope you can give an answer as part of the original question as it was sort of implied. Is the noise getting worse over time actually a pointer to actual gearbox malfunction/total failure?