Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have just started getting a medium loud whine from my BMW

I have just started getting a medium loud whine from my BMW 320d engine, proportional to the engine speed. It is nearly nine years old and has done 110000 miles. When I first heard it I thought it must be an emergency vehicle siren but it happens when the car is still.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
What question did you have about this?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The questions are: Do you know what is or might be causing the noise? Is it urgent that I get it fixed? and is it likely to be expensive?
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

I would suggest a failing turbo or crankcase ventilation system. Yes it is urgent to get it fixed, definitely. And unfortunately yes, it will likely be expensive.

..
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.