Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Bmw (2007) x3 2.0 diesel....intermittent starting problems

Bmw (2007) x3 2.0 diesel....intermittent starting problems (usually in the morning), cranks but wont fire!! Cutting out randomly, usually when foot taken off gas to slow down!?? Sometimes starts and drives with no problems. Had the ecu reprogrammed as diagnostics machine couldn't communicate with it. Was fine for 2 weeks then problems are back. Fault codes now showing as injector 1,2,3 & 4 and glow plugs 1,2 & 3!!! (I think this is what they told me) Is this an electrical problem or do you think all these components need changing!? Do the symptoms sound like a glow plug & injector issue?? Thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

injectors or plugs can definitely cause what you are experiencing although all failing at once would be unusual. It might make sense to change a few out to see if the faults are then gone from those cylinders. if they remain then you are looking more likely at an ecu/electrical issue.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou, this problem has been going on for months on and off!! The ecu was initially only showing injector 4 and glow plugs having a problem! Garage swapped injector 3 & 4 over to see if the fault swapped to 3 but fault still stayed on 4! They then swapped the wiring of 3 and 4 over, after that, no injector fault showing!! 1 day later car failed again and now showing faults on all 4 injectors!! Issue seems to be causing problems for the garage its at they said they've not come accross an intermittent issue like this before!!
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
I would suspect it is electrical or the ecu then so that should be pursued further. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What sort of electrical issue do you suspect!? Any ideas please!??
The ECU has been re-tested since it was reprogrammed and it was found to be working
Thankyou for your time, I will be sure to give you a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

I would suspect a possible issue with the wiring to the injectors/plugs or possibly at the connection to the ecu as the pins are very delicate. Additionally, it would make sense to check battery and alternator output voltage under different conditions to ensure they are within spec as this could also cause an issue like you have. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou very much, appreciate your time.