Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a new key fob as I've lost the original AND the

I have a new key fob as I've lost the original AND the spare. Got it from a dealership but it won't start the car....why will the new fob not start the car?
I've held it against the picture of the key for 5-10minutes whilst pressing the stop start button
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

the reason the key will not start the car is because the car needs to be programmed to enable the new key in its computerized immobilizer. Unfortunately you will need to have the car towed to a main dealer with the proper equipment to do this initialization. Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer but I trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated. Please remember to rate me based on the service I have provided, not on the news you are receiving as this is out of my control. thank you

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you