Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Dear all How many hours does it take to change a

Customer Question

Dear all
How many hours does it take to change a turbocharger for a BMW 520d 2009?
How much does it cost to change it if I buy the turbo?
Does it need any extra work or just a simple replacement?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

Hi..there..

The book time ideally is 5-6hours at least.so you maybe looking at a £200-£300 labor without turbo,but you should really gather quotes locally.as all garages tend to charge differant rates...but time doesnt take into any problems that come along ie: stripped/snapped bolts etc...it should be straight replacement ..but what i would say is include with the new turbo or reconditioned turbo..aquire the feed & return oil lines..if you dont do them and thats what caused the intial problem then any new turbo you put on will go the same way very quickly..you should also once the turbo has been fitted require a full oil change and filter change..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your response but what do you mean with 'aquire the feed & return oil lines'.
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi..

The Turbo has two lines to it..to allow the turbo centre core to be lubricated by engine oil..so you have a feed oil line to it at the top and a return line which return the oil back to the sump...if those arent replaced at the same time it could invalidate any warranty the new turbo comes with...if you cant them locally anywhere else or come with the new turbo? you likely need to aquire them via the BMW dealer itself im afraid...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear *****
Thank you for your advice. My mechanic has changed the turbo and also cleaned the DPF filter but he says the car doesn't accelerate and then shuts down with a warning sign of low fuel pressure. He says he is not an expert in that but suggests that it might be a problem with the injection. What do you think the problem is? and what should I do?