Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a x5 e53 on a 56 plate, for a while now ive heard a

Hi, i have a x5 e53 on a 56 plate, for a while now ive heard a noise coming from the right hand side of engine. Its like air is gushing through something. Ive been told its probably air intake leak. Now the noise is louder and whining. It usually happens between 2/ 3 k revs. Also it used to churn black smoke out if i booted it, just for a few seconds. That has stopped now. Wondered if the turbo has gone because it has lost a bit of power.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
Your description suggests a failed turbo, although I take leaks are easy to test for so that would also be worthwhile
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the easiest way to check this out please.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

you will need to have the intake smoke tested for a leak, and/or have the turbo replaced. These unfortunately are not things that are designed to be easily checked at home, professional equipment and training is required.. Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

hello, I can see that you have rated my service as bad. this PUNISHES me for providing an honest answer to your question. what part of your question was not answered? I am sorry if you do not like the news you are receiving but that is beyond my control. I do not deserved to be punished by a bad rating for being honest.