Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2007 E92 BMW 325D Coupe. I am experiencing an

Customer Question

I have a 2007 E92 BMW 325D Coupe. I am experiencing an intermittent power loss issue. Every now and again I lose all power to the car. Its fine when its running - no issues. When I turn the car off I sometimes lose power and cant get the key out - sometimes I turn the car off, lock it and walk away, when I return the car wont unlock - have no lights on the dash, no hazard lights - if I left it for 15mins or 2 days and go back to the car it will then unlock and start like normal - for example - yesterday I had the issue where I turned the car off, lost power and couldn't get the key out, I locked the car manually, later that night again the car would not start, left the car over night and thismorning I unlocked the car, pressed the start button and it started as if nothing was wrong.
Please help.
Danny
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Hi, what kind of help are you seeking? Do you want to know possible causes?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

the issue you have is most likely a due to melting / hot spot development at the fuse box. this is very common on this model.

other possible causes would be an issue with the battery cable/connections, or a faulty battery unit (the plastic box that sits on top of the battery). Most likely it is the fuse panel issue, however.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi SteveI think I may have had that issue last year (the 1st issue you mentioned), it was almost as if there had been a fire in the fuse box in the front. Does that sound about right? Why would the issue be intermittent like it is though? Surely if fuses had melted it would be permanently without power.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

yes this sounds like the issue you had.

it can be intermittent, all depends on the nature of the damage that occured, temperature flucuations day to day or while driving, etc.

As I said, this is most likely your cuase, and would not have suggested it if it was not possible for it to occur intermittently

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm just surprised it's happened again. It was repaired about a year ago.
Would would cause it to happen again or in the 1st place?
Is there an easy way to check for the damage that's been done?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

it is a common problem due to the design of this car - things just heat up in that area due to poor cooling. There is no easy way to check this, the fuse box and battery cable need to be pulled and checked.

as I mentioned there are other possible causes as well, but this is the most likely. the only other possible cause would be an issue with the car access control unit but it does not sound likely based on your symptoms.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating