Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I was just driving down the motorway and the dtc light

I was just driving down the motorway and the dtc light started flashing and the engine power reduced dramatically. Why did this happen?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

this is typically what happens when the vehicle's traction control system senses a loss of traction and intervenes to help prevent loss of vehicle control.

if you were not in a situation where you could have been losing traction or experiencing wheel slip, then this would be caused by a malfuntion by one of the sensors/components in the traction control system.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I was just driving normally at 70 mph but the surface of the road was quite rough ( one of those concrete motorways). Is this a serious problem and should I switch the dtc off if it happens during normal driving conditions? The car is going to the garage to investigate an engine problem on Friday.
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

if the surface was rough then it could have been the car sensing a loss of traction and intervening as designed. If the system starts cutting in constantly under all conditions, then yes I would switch it off and have the system diagnosed as soon as possible, but if this turns out to be a one time thing on a poor quality roadway then I would not turn of traction control and would ignore that it ever happened.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I will get the garage to run diagnostics on Friday.