Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I was just driving down the motorway and the dtc light

I was just driving down the motorway and the dtc light started flashing and the engine power reduced dramatically. Why did this happen?

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

this is typically what happens when the vehicle's traction control system senses a loss of traction and intervenes to help prevent loss of vehicle control.

if you were not in a situation where you could have been losing traction or experiencing wheel slip, then this would be caused by a malfuntion by one of the sensors/components in the traction control system.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I was just driving normally at 70 mph but the surface of the road was quite rough ( one of those concrete motorways). Is this a serious problem and should I switch the dtc off if it happens during normal driving conditions? The car is going to the garage to investigate an engine problem on Friday.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

if the surface was rough then it could have been the car sensing a loss of traction and intervening as designed. If the system starts cutting in constantly under all conditions, then yes I would switch it off and have the system diagnosed as soon as possible, but if this turns out to be a one time thing on a poor quality roadway then I would not turn of traction control and would ignore that it ever happened.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will get the garage to run diagnostics on Friday.