Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2001 330i with a ssg gear box when I start the and

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2001 330i with a ssg gear box when I start the and drive everything is fine, if I stop and car idles for any time the clutch starts to ride in every gear. If I stop car switch off ignition for 5 to 10 seconds every thing fine and back to normal till car idles again
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

this sounds like the clutch position sensor either needs to go through its re-learn procedure or the sensor may be faulty

the re-learn does need a laptop with the bmw software though and its as follows

1. Plug car into laptop, open INPA and turn the car ignition on but dont start it.
2. Press F9 to open special tests.
3. Double click on 'SMG Adaptation for Sequential M-Gearbox'.
4. Press F1 then F8 to bleed gearbox actuator and let it run through the test.
5. Press F2 then F8 to bleed the clutch and let it run through the test.
6. Press F3 then F8 to start a complete adaptation and let it run through the program (takes quite a while so make sure your battery is good or you have a power pack on it)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is a ssg gear box is that still the same(same sensor). Inpa would that be possible for me to get or would I have to take to specialist
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

hello yes the SSG still uses a clutch sensor

you can install the software yourself as detailed in this helpful post and you'll also need a OBD comms cable

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99/idiots-guide-bmw-inpa-installation-modded-usb-vagcom-interface-winxp-vista-t102843/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok mate thanks very much
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

glad to help

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

do you still need help?