Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I go skiing Switzerland and drive on snowy roads often. It

I go skiing Switzerland and drive on snowy roads often. It is the rule
there to have winter tyres and summer tyres.
I used to have an old heavy BMW X5, and I used it a lot in the snow. It was very steady.
Last year I bought a BMW X5 M50d.
The garage who sold me the car gave me a set of wheels with summer tyres on,
and a set of wheels with winter tyres on.
The winter set they gave me are 255/50 R19,
The summer set of wheels and tyres are 315/35 R20 (rear) and 275/40 R20 (front)
The car was terrible in the snow on the 255/50 R19
I now approach the time to put on the winter tyres again. I understand that
the weight pressing on the snow will be heavier on the narrower tyres, but
that I will get more friction with the wider set of tyres.
Which wheels should I fit new winter tyres to?
Is the problem actually my driving as I notice the torque on the new X5 in first gear is much higher (50% more) than the old X5?
Finally, if it is the torque, I would ideally like to pull away in 3rd gear, but trying this today, the car stops me using 3rd as a 'pull-away' gear. Can I turn this off?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 7 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like the answer pleasethanks
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

in all snow conditions you will be better off with a narrower tyre than normal as this has more bite into the snow , look at rally cars on full snow you'll see they run a very narrow tyre there

I'd say the extra torque certainly will make it more difficult to move off and your strategy of pulling away in 3rd is a good idea and try pressing the DSC button once to disable it in snow as this should then allow some wheelspin and allow you to move

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years