Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

The traction control light is intermittent on the dash

Customer Question

The traction control light is intermittent on the dash board, is it safe to drive the car?
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I drive the car it suddenly starts "missing" and that is when the light comes on. I initially thought that it there was an issue changing gears.What is causing this issue? Is this a serious issue?
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.
hi,
are you saying the engine definitively starts misfiring when the light comes on? or power is just cut?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Steve, Yes,the engine definitely starts misfiring when the light comes on. I never loose complete power in the car.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

this suggests most likely an issue with the throttle. the faults will need to be scanned from the vehicle using a BMW scan tool to verify.

the car is as safe to drive as you feel it is - if the cutting out puts you at risk of an accident, dont drive it. If you never are at risk, you can continue to drive, but this should really be checked out as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have just driven the car again for approx 10 miles and the light has not apperred on the dash throughout this journey. Would this be normal for it to be the trottle? If the issue is the trottle, is that a big job to fix in the car?
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

yes it can be intermittent and unpredictable. it could definitely be the throttle based on this. ultimately the faults need to be scanned to verify. it is not a terribly large job to fix.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating