Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have a 318i and it keeps making a grinding noise as if

Customer Question

HI have a 318i and it keeps making a grinding noise as if something is catching occasionally but i cannot see anything obvious any ideas please it will help explain to my local garage
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

hello

can you tell me a bit more about when the noise occurs?

is the car cornering , or accelerating braking?

have you jacked the car up to check if all the wheels turn freely without the brakes catching and binding?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
First time was just after i had braked the second was as I had started to pull away from lights
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

OK

in that case I'd try checking all the brakes for binding as I've suggested as the next step

if any of them are sticking on then 1st check the pads aren't down to the metal and if this is OK then

I'd strip the calipers down and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line has partially collapsed and is producing a one way valve, this can't always be seen from the outside but you can test to see if there's any residual pressure in that caliper by cracking off the bleed nipple after stamping on the brake a few times

Another possibliity is that one caliper is sticking slightly so the piston isn't retracting on its seals

in which case that caliper will need rebuilding with new seals or replacing

One other thing to try is to remove the master cylinder again and have your assistant push down on the brake pedal to expose the pushrod as it exits the servo

on the end of the pushrod there should be a little adjustment nut

try screwing this in a turn or two and put it all back together

this adjustment takes out free play at the pedal so its better to have a little bit of play rather than too tight