Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2012 mini overheated last night. Warning came on screen

Customer Question

My 2012 mini overheated last night. Warning came on screen and I stopped within 5 minutes. Car then wouldn't start. Major knocking noise and this morning would start and stay on for about 30 seconds before cutting out. Garage did diags and engine full of water, head casket blown. They say it needs reskinning and are quoting £700. Just seeing if they are ripping me off.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

that sounds like a reasonable price for a head gasket repair I'd say

as its about 3 hours labour to remove the head (at 70 to 80 pounds an hour labour charge) then you have a machining charge to skim the head ( estimate another £100) to ensure its restored to flatness as once overheated they can warp

then another 3 hours labour to refit it all then you have the parts cost at approx £100

so

Labour charge £420 to 480

machining cost £100

Parts £100

so 620 -680 total

and depending on where you are in the country or if you're using a main dealer or a private garage then the labour rate can very quite a lot