Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an 05 s. auto. when driving steady it is fine. try a

Hi. i have an 05 cooper s. auto. when driving steady it is fine. try a little harder and it stays in the sme gearand will not change up. lose all revs and there is a big clunk as if it is dopping into gear and then, drive steadyand its o k. what would the problem be as i need to get it sorted. Many thanks.***@******.***.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi I would like to wait for a professional answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Hello Dave

this sounds like the gearbox needs a fluid change, this should usually be done every 50K miles along with the filter inside the unit

officially the fluid is sealed for 'life' but if you want the gearbox to last, then replace the fluid

if you want to do the job yourself I can post instructions on how to do it? otherwise budget about £200 in parts / fluid and an hours labour to do the job

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years