Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an 2006 z4 2.5 sport..The car has a tappet ticking

Customer Question

Hi There,i have an 2006 z4 2.5 sport..The car has a tappet ticking sound..Have changed the oils but still there.Its not every day but sometimes it is and sometimes its not..Advice please
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
Is performance impacted?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does not seem to be impacted...just noisey
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its not all the time...perhaps its a bit worse when the car has been stood for a day....its better after a good run for a day or so.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
This is likely just the lifters tapping. It's a known issue. It does not impact engine durability or performance. You can try revving the engine in neutral to 4000 rpm for a few min, this may help a bit. Otherwise the lifters need to be replaced which is very expensive. Most people just deal with the annoyance. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try this and see....but have you any idea how much cost to replace lifters
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
It's a few grand to replace them