Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

My BMW E90 2010 LCI is having issues with the heating. If i

Customer Question

My BMW E90 2010 LCI is having issues with the heating. If i have it on warm heating, it still blows cold on the driver side. The middle one is also cooler but no so cold. The one closest to the window and me is freezing.
This is the case for both AC and normal heater fan. No fault codes show on diagnostics, coolant has been bled and replaced. Thermostat and Water Pump has been replaced. A mechanic has also looked through components and hasn't been able to find anything specific. Heater core seems to be okay and i believe if this was faulty there would be coolant leaking also? Any other suggestions?
I have been advised it could be the heater blower fan motor as this controls the flaps? Looking for any opinions.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens is the air mix flap control motor fails to operate the temp for the drivers side properly.This is labeled as M153 in the picture below.This air flap motor fails and acts up like you see here with it needing replaced.The cost can run up to $200 for the part in some cases and right at an hours labor to have replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xf42op4e9cgvuzp/a-10-08.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello,Thank you for your quick response, I've just had a quck search for this. Could you tell me the official name for this on my E90 3 Series? its Right hand drive. I am unable to locate this.thank you

With it being right hand drive the actuator is located opposite on the heater box as you see in the picture.It would be to the left of your feet up on the heater box if the box in the picture below was reversed for right hand drive.

It is called the drivers air mix actuator.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
BMW 3 SERIES E90 HEATER A/C AIR VENT FLAP MOTOR ACTUATOR###-##-####
This is the only thing i can find? is it this? thank you

That doesnt look to be the right one but my part number I have located is different.The best way to find out the current part number you need is to contact a dealers parts department and they can tell you at no charge to you.The part I have located should be the one below or similar.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/30394-07211541.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=2009-2015+BMW+328i+xDrive+Air+Flap+Actuator+Dorman+09-15+BMW+Air+Flap+Actuator+2013+2011&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0YjJrvXg1gIVxoF-Ch18pQqwEAQYBSABEgJbY_D_BwE&ad=47433964212

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello,I have got my mechanic to try this and it is still the same issue.What else could it be?
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 14 days ago.

I apologize for the delay as your response was not showing up for me until now.

If this was replaced and the issue remains have the mechanic check and clear out any codes set as well as see if the computer/scan tool being used has an actuator recalibration process on it.In some cases all that is needed is to have the codes cleared out as well as the recalibration done after this repair is done.

If this was already done let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello,It has already been done. No errors showing. Problem still there.My mechanic believes it would be heater matrix, fan blower or one of these components.Please let me know
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 12 days ago.

I suspect an internal mechanical fault with the heater box door flaps causing air temp flow issues or possibly part of the heater core is restricted causing no coolant flow through part of it causing this fault.This wont cause a coolant leak.These need to be inspected to locate which is the cause for sure here.

Thanks Pete