Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

118i 2009 petrol convertible My car has just come out of

Customer Question

118i 2009 petrol convertibleMy car has just come out of Sutner after having re call on the coils, the engine light was on when we took it in but we were told the engine light was on due to coils needing replacing.We picked the car up 2 days later the engine light had gone off so we thought it was sorted, after a few mins of driving the engine light came back on. Also the car started to cut out and re start, re start whislt still running, and wouldnt drive over 40 mph making lots of noise. The car was running dog rough.
We had none of these problems prior to the car going in for a coil change.The car went back into Sutner and we have now been advised we need all new injectors at a cost of £1600.The car was not vacuumed health checked or a road safety test was not completed before the car was given back to us. Could this problem occurred due to the coil change as the car didnt have any problems before going in ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 22 days ago.
Hi, was the only work performed the coil change?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Yes it was
Expert:  Steve replied 22 days ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

in that case it is extremely, extremely unlikely that the injectors would be affected by a simple coil change. there is no reason for injectors to be touched or impacted during a coil change.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
if the car had none of the problems going in that it came out and the car only started cutting out and running really bad after we picked it up what could of caused this as i find it difficult to understand why this had suddenly happened
Expert:  Steve replied 22 days ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating

I am not hands on at the vehicle so cannot say exactly why the car is running poorly. there are many things that can cause this model to run poorly - low fuel pressure, air leaks, failing sensors, wrong coils being fitted, etc. A coil change is the most basic of repairs, there is nothing else that one could reasonably point to as being likely impacted during a coil change. So, unless there was gross negligence or sabotage/vandalism, it would have be to coincidental. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
for there to be such a dramatic deterioration of the running of the vehicle within a few minutes of picking it up and the fact it wasnt tested before being handed back there is no where i can go to blame sutner
Expert:  Steve replied 22 days ago.

there is unfortunately no way to blame or prove blame on sutner. you can certainly take this up with management there and make your suspicions known as you might be something out of them, but you cannot blame them, no. I am sorry if you were hoping for a different answer but I trust that my honest and prompt response is appreciated. Please do not forget to click a positive rating